The Old Town lies on a narrow peninsula at the confluence of the rivers Inn and Danube. Hidden backyards, romantic corners and many alleys, some of which drop steeply to the banks of the rivers, give the city its Italian character. The Old Town is dominated by St. Stephen's Cathedral, the domicile of Passau's bishop. It is the largest baroque cathedral north of the Alps. With 17,974 pipes and 233 registers, the cathedral organ is the largest cathedral organ in the world and the largest organ outside the United States.
Beside St.Stephen, on the cathedral square, the highest point in the Old Town the Lamberg Palace is worth to be mentioned; there in 1552 the Passau Treaty was signed.
South of the cathedral is the Old Residence, which now houses the regional court. In the former prince-bishop's opera house is the city theater, which was originally built in 1645 as a ball house.
On the banks of river Danube is the 14th-century city hall with its 38-meter tower, which was added in 1890.
The Wilder Mann patrician house on the Rathausplatz houses the Passau glass museum with outstanding exhibits of the world-famous Bohemian glass.
The 'Veste Oberhaus' is located high above the city in the north. Among other things, it houses the very interesting interactive Oberhausmuseum.
Not far from the town hall is the church of St. Michael with the neighboring complex of the former Jesuit college, further towards the confluent of the rivers is the former Benedictine nunnery in Niedernburg with the tomb of Blessed Gisela, the wife of Hungary's first king Stephen.
The Museum of Modern Art (MMK) is located in the Bräugasse, with interesting changing exhibitions
In the center of the Old Town is the Residenzplatz with its patrician houses and the New Residence. The cathedral treasure and diocesan museum can be visited in the residence. The Herberstein-Palais (Schustergasse 4) with its façade structured by wall pilasters has a Renaissance arcade courtyard in the Italian style from 1590 and is now the seat of the Passau district court.
A walk along the picturesque and sunny Inn promenade is worthwhile. There you will pass the Schaiblingsturm, a round defense tower that was built in the Middle Ages to protect the salt harbor.
Ludwigsstrasse and its side streets form the pedestrian area with shops and cafés. At the corner of Heiliggeistgasse is the Marian Votive Church, the monastery church of the former Franciscan monastery.
On the other side of the Inn, the Mariahilf pilgrimage church rises above the Inn city on a hill. The covered pilgrimage staircase with its 321 steps leads up there.
Also on the other side of the river Inn is the Roman Museum with the excavation site of the Boiotro Roman Camp.
On your way back cross the river on the Innsteg, known by the population as the 'Fünferl' Bridge (after the former bridge toll of 5 pfennigs).The view to the Old Town and cathedral is well known. The footbridge connects the Innstadt with the university, whose administration is located in the former Augustinian monastery of St. Nikola.
Book online on our website and secure the best price!
Telephone: +43-(0) 664 2534669
Fax: +49-(0) 851 988 53304